About HotSpots Charts, LLC Sea Surface Temperature Charts
What Is A HotSpots Charts, LLC SST Chart?
HotSpots Charts, LLC Sea Surface Temperature Charts display temperatures and
thermal boundaries in offshore waters.
How Can A HotSpots Charts, LLC SST Chart Help My Offshore Fishing?
HotSpots Charts, LLC SST Charts are designed to make it easy for fishermen to
see what the water temperature conditions are at their favorite
offshore fishing points.
How Are HotSpots Charts, LLC SST Charts Created?
STEP 1: GETTING THE TEMPERATURE DATA
STEP 2: CREATING SST CHARTS FROM SATELLITE DATA
- HotSpots Charts, LLC uses HRPT (high resolution picture transmission) data, available only from NOAA polar orbiter satellites. This data is accurate
to within 1/10th of a degree Celsius, and averages temperatures across 1 square kilometer.
(Temperature data is also available from GOES satellites, but
this data has a much lower resolution - 1 degree Celsius,
averaged across 10 square miles - so we do not use this data.)
- Currently (summer, 2008) there are three polar orbiter satellites transmitting usable temperature data.
- Each polar orbiter satellite passes over the US east coast once
roughly every twelve hours, providing data early and midmorning, and early and midafternoon.
- The temperature sensors on the polar orbiters cannot "see" through cloud cover, so when there is cloud cover over an offshore area,
that area appears as black on the temperature charts.
- Any water vapor present in the atmosphere when the satellite passes over will cause the satellite to report temperatures cooler
than the actual surface temperatures. Software written by HotSpots Charts, LLC corrects these temperatures using additional data reported by the
satellite. (As noted above, sensors on the polar orbiter satellites cannot read surface temperatures through clouds. On cloudy days there
is no temperature data for HotSpots Charts, LLC to correct, so
these areas appear black on the charts.)
- Software written by HotSpots Charts, LLC is used to "clean up" the satellite image, clarifying temperature boundaries.
- Software written by HotSpots Charts, LLC plots thermal boundary lines and temperature labels on a chart showing the locations of these boundaries.